Once upon a time, 20 years ago to be exact, a book was released into stores that would change the world of fiction as we know it. Readers’ patience would be challenged like never before. Obsessions would be ignited over the book release dates, who might die next, who would fall in love, and what cape should be worn to book club. Best friendships would dissolve in arguments over which quidditch team was better. Relationships would be tested when one party failed to understand the importance of reading the series multiple times in between viewings of the films in theaters. No, I am not talking about a daytime soap opera or telenovela. I’m describing the phenomenon we now know as Harry Potter.
To celebrate the creation of this series, I have found some fun facts about its author J.K. Rowling and the books’ journey from page to big screen.
– Harry Potter is the best selling book series in history… yep, HISTORY! (Guinness World Records: October 2012)
– King’s Cross Station is a real place! It’s actually where Rowling’s parents met. In the books, it is also where the portal entrance into the Wizarding World is located.
– Rupert Grint performed a rap song about Ron Weasley for his audition.
– Voldemort means “flight of death” (it’s French.)
– The books have been published in 67 different languages.
– Rowling tested for Oxford but was not accepted.
– The idea for the game Quidditch was created after she had a spat with her boyfriend.
– Haley Joel Osment was in line to play Harry (the kid actor from Sixth Sense)
– For filming/special effects, the brooms were made out of titanium.
– Rowling used to work for Amnesty International.
– Harry’s scar was applied 5,800 total times during the filming process.
If you would like to experience these incredible reads for yourself, visit any of our Bookmans locations to see which ones we have on the shelf. I recommend reading them in order (and by the way – you’re so lucky you get to read them now and not have to wait months for the next one to be released.) Happy Birthday, Harry Potter!
*Bookmans is your store to explore. We can’t guarantee stock, so if you are interested in one (or hopefully all) of the Harry Potter books, please give us a call and we’ll check our orange shelves for you.
© 2012 Bookmans. All Rights Reserved.