Bookmans Recommends: Top Five Pumpkin Books for Kids
Five little pumpkins, sitting on a gate. The first one said, “Oh my, it’s getting late.” The second one said, “There are witches in the air!” The third one said, “But we don’t care.” The fourth one said, “Let’s run and run and run.” The fifth one said, “It’s Halloween fun!” Then ohhh went the wind, and out went the light, and the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight.
Temperatures are dropping, even if just a couple degrees, and that means that Fall is here! Looking for some fun ways to help you and your family get in the mood for hot cups of apple cider, brisk weather and, of course, pumpkin everything? Pumpkin season is here, and what better way to celebrate it than with our favorite pumpkin themed children’s books. If you have kids of your own, or even if you’re young at heart, these books are sure to put you right in the mood for Fall. In honor of the five little pumpkins rhyme, let’s take a look at the top five selections you could find right here at your nearest Bookmans location.
1. The Biggest Pumpkin Ever by Steven Kroll – Two mice find the same pumpkin, one that tends to it during the day and the other at night. The day mouse wants to grow the pumpkin so that he can enter it into the contest. The night mouse wants to grow the pumpkin to make the largest jack-o-lantern in the village. Eventually they both help each other out and come to an agreement to be able to do both. It’s a great story about sharing!
2. Patty’s Pumpkin Patch by Teri Sloat – A fun tale about how to grow pumpkins, told in a rhyme. On each page it also states a letter of the alphabet, and picture of an animal that starts with that letter. It starts at the beginning of the cycle where you plant them, tend to them, all the way until you can carve them or even bake the seeds to share with your family.
3. The Pumpkin Smasher by Anita Benarde – In a quiet town called Cranbury, the whole town puts out pumpkins to celebrate Fall and Halloween. One year, after putting out their pumpkins, they found that someone had smashed them all. After a couple of years dealing with the “pumpkin smasher,” the town decided to do something to try and stop them. They painted a giant rock to look like a jack-o-lantern and waited for the smasher to come. Bested by the town, the smasher went away and didn’t return. We won’t spoil who the smasher was, you’ll have to read this one for yourself.
4. The Littlest Pumpkin by R.A Herman – Similar in title to the first book mentioned, this book is from a pumpkins point of view. The littlest pumpkin is at a farm, waiting to be taken home by someone. She dreams of becoming a jack-o-lantern for Halloween having witches, ghosts and fairies all around her singing songs. All of the other pumpkins get chosen, and just when she thinks she won’t ever have her dream come true a group of mice surround her. They decorate around her, and show her a fabulous Halloween celebration.
5. The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin by Joe Troiano – Spookley the pumpkin isn’t circular, in fact he is square. All of the round pumpkins made fun of him, since he couldn’t roll around freely like they could. One stormy day, the pumpkins started to roll too fast and broke the fence that surrounded them. They created a hole, which some pumpkins fell through. Spookley pushed his hardest and eventually is able to roll himself over to the hole and block any other pumpkins from falling. This is a great book that teaches everyone to not judge a book – or a pumpkin – by its cover.
There are a lot of pumpkin themed books out there for kids, these ones just so happen to be our favorites. Which ones are your family’s favorites, and why? Want to check out some of these titles? Come on into your nearest Bookmans location, or give us a call! Bookmans is your store to explore, and we are sure you’ll find at least one thing you didn’t know you needed.
- Bookie Blog (370)
- Community Events (225)
- Contests & Giveaways (222)
- Core Values (155)
- Games (24)
- gifts (11)
- In Our Stores (496)
- Inspiration (35)
- Job Postings (2)
- Merchandise (361)
- Musical Notes (219)
- News (109)
- Play: A Gamer's Blog (89)
- Reel Chat (233)
- Style (4)
- Tips & tricks (24)
- Uncategorized (177)